Sunday, July 15, 2012

Reflections From the Gas Station Pump

   Today while I was driving through Louisiana I stopped to get gas. As I pulled up to the pump I noticed a group of teenagers from Texas. One was putting decorative duct tape on the car, still not really sure why, while another was writing something on their back window. I walked into the gas station and as I walked out I took the time to read what they had written. This is what it said: We are second. He must increase. We must decrease. John 3:30
   I asked them if they were on a mission trip. They told me they were on their way to New Orleans to work with Habitat for Humanity and to lead worship. They were excited to tell me all about it. This brought back memories of my very first mission trip. I went on a team from my youth group to Georgia to help people who could not afford to fix up their houses. I remember the team I was on helped this sweet lady repaint her house. The time we got to spend with her getting to know her and her getting to know us and why we would come do this for her was life changing for me. Not too long after I went on my first mission trip to Africa.
   Today was an opportunity to reflect on all that God has done in bringing me to where I am at now and where He will lead me in the future.
   If you work with youth or have ever thought about it, you can have a major impact on their future. My family played a large role but so did all of my sunday school teachers and youth leaders who encouraged me to follow after my calling or took me on my first mission trip which sparked my love for missions. Thank you to all those who have been in my life and encouraged, mentored and helped me. I thank God for each of you.

1 comment:

  1. Love this entry April! I wondered why you would drive halfway across the U.S. without a driving companion. I think what you wrote just answered that question. Being alone is a time of renewal and reflection. It would possibly have been missed if you had spent your drive time chatting instead. Love your heart! Press on.

    ReplyDelete